The 1960s and 70s was a time of demolition in Wagga. “Get rid of the old to make way for the new” seems to have been the motto at the time and quite a few of the huge hotels lining the main streets of Wagga simply could not escape their fate.
There were exceptions. The Union Club Hotel is the obvious one, with its wide verandah still spanning two sides of the building today. Many survived the wrecking ball but had to “modernise” their look by removing their verandahs altogether. The changeover from verandah to cantilever awnings was a process the whole of the main street was going through, starting back in the 1940s, but discussions around such a change had been going on since 1929.
A few hotels were pulled down and then rebuilt to suit the changing times…
The main street of Wagga was once dominated by hotels. But the needs and wants of a population are continually changing and the disappearing hotels with their bars, accommodation and meeting spaces, were a visible sign of the changing face of central Wagga.