The Lake Albert Cricket Club recently held a celebratory function to officially mark the 125th Anniversary of the Club’s formation.
The Wagga Wagga Advertiser reported that a meeting was held on November 27th 1890 to form the Lake Albert Cricket Club. This meeting was organised by the Principal of the Lake Albert School, Mr W. (Bill) Rockliff.
Mr James Angel was elected as the first President, and Rockliff, W. Manning & W. Hewing comprised the match selection Committee. At this meeting it was also decided that Wednesday and Saturday afternoons would be set aside for practice, and Mr Manning and Mr Lockett promised that the bowler with the best average for the season would receive a ball, and the batsman with the best average would receive a bat.
Interestingly, the first records of a cricket match played by a Lake Albert team date from as early as 1879, where both the Wagga Wagga Advertiser and the Wagga Wagga Express document informal matches which were played against other local teams including; the Caxton Cricket Club (local newspaper employees), Wagga Cricket Club, South Wagga Cricket Club, Gumly Gumly Cricket Club, the Mechanics Institute Cricket Club, Sandy Creek Cricket Club and teams from Albury.
In its first foray into a competition, the 1890-91 season, the Lake Albert Cricket Club played 15 matches, winning 11 and losing 4. Newspaper reports were also found which document practice games between ‘married vs single’ and ‘smokers vs non-smokers’.
During the 1890’s the Wilson, Graham & Angel families were the backbone of the Lake Albert Cricket Club teams. Alongside Rockliff (who left the club in 1895 when he was transferred to another school), G.P (George) Wilson Snr was the driving force behind the club. The owner of Big Springs Station was the patron of both the Lake Albert Cricket Club and the Lake Albert Football Club, and in 1905 was made the first Life Member of the Lake Albert Cricket Club.